[WikiEN-l] The Second Rape: Victim-Blaming (was Re: Self-sensorship, how far should it go?)

Brian Salter-Duke b_duke at bigpond.net.au
Fri Aug 3 00:52:15 UTC 2007

On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 07:42:20PM -0400, Marc Riddell wrote:

> > On 02/08/07, Steve Summit <scs at eskimo.com> wrote:
> > <cut>
> >> I am no less sorry than anyone else to say this, but: the trolls
> >> are out there.  They are not going to go away.  Most importantly,
> >> they are *not our fault*.  To imagine that they somehow are "our
> >> fault", to pretend that we can do anything to make them go away,
> >> is a futile, perhaps even delusional folly.
> > </cut>
>
> > on 8/2/07 7:19 PM, Armed Blowfish at diodontida.armata at googlemail.com wrote:
>
> > Stalking to the point of revealing someone's personal information to
> > the world, making them vulnerable to further stalking goes beyond mere
> > trolling.  But that's semantics.
> >
> > In any case, you are right - it is not your fault.  The wrongs
> > stalkers do are on their heads.
> >
> > No, you can't stop every stalker / abuser / harasser in the world.
> > Nonetheless, some environments are more friendly to stalkers than
> > others.  There are things that can be done to influence the
> > statistics.  Can you be blamed for not helping when you don't know how
> > to help?  No.  But that doesn't mean there aren't things you can do to
> > help... e.g. supporting people who have been hurt and helping to
> > create an environment that is not friendly to
> > stalkers/abusers/harassers.
> >
> > Armed Blowfish
> >
> Yes, AB. And stalkers, abusers, and harassers don't survive very long in an
> environment where the noise they are making doesn't get the reaction they
> need to thrive.
>
> Marc

I have been reading all this with a degree of interest and a lot of
dismay. I really think everybody should shut up and stop posting for a
few days. The whole debate is doing nobody and nothing any good. After a
few days maybe some people can come back and address some of the issues
in a general non-specific way.

Brian.
          Brian Salter-Duke            b_duke at bigpond.net.au
               [[User:Bduke]]  mainly on en:Wikipedia.
           Also on fr: Wikipedia, Meta-Wiki and Wikiversity