[WikiEN-l] The Second Rape: Victim-Blaming (was Re: Self-sensorship, how far should it go?)

Stan Shebs stanshebs at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 2 22:14:46 UTC 2007

Steve Summit wrote:
> Stan Shebs wrote:
>
>> I would be ashamed to be associated with a project for which the only
>> option is that members run and hide.
>>

> Your shame is misplaced, I think.
>
> It's like saying you'd be ashamed to dock your boat in a marina
> in which the only option for coping with rising and falling tides
> was floating docks.  Or that you'd be ashamed to live in a world
> in which the only option for coping with rain was umbrellas.

I took Stephen Park's suggestion as more akin to "move to the desert, or
stay indoors and only go out when the sun is shining - we are unable to
invent umbrellas".

As a practical matter, and to abuse the analogy further :-), if we give
in, WP enemies will have their formula for getting rid of all the
editors who stand up to them - if there's no rain, continuously dump
buckets of water out of upper-story windows, knowing that eventually the
passersby will blame the editors for "causing" the downpour. Brandt and
his type are skillful players of the noise game; keep at it long enough,
and eventually you will con newcomers into believing there must be some
legitimate reason for all the racket.

Stan