[WikiEN-l] The Second Rape: Victim-Blaming (was Re: Self-sensorship, how far should it go?)

Kirill Lokshin kirill.lokshin at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 20:04:24 UTC 2007

On 8/2/07, Stan Shebs <stanshebs at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Stephen Park wrote:
> > Sarah, I honestly think it's in your own best interests to close the
> > SV account and start again. Choose a new name that isn't connected
> > with your real life identity in anyway. Stay away from a few tell-tale
> > topics. You might even want to have an alternate account so you can
> > "segregate" eg use one account of animal rights type work, another for
> > your other interests, in order to lessen the chances that your enemies
> > will detect you.
> >
> I would be ashamed to be associated with a project for which the only
> option is that members run and hide.

As opposed to what exactly?  If your identity becomes known, and you
don't want it to be known, then your only option *is* to hide; the
rest of us can try to make this easier for you, but sticking our heads
in the sand and chanting "You're still anonymous" isn't going to do
you a bit of good.  Once you're outed, there simply isn't any way to
un-out yourself without assuming a new identity.

(This is separate, of course, from the issue of harassment; but the
question here is not that of mounting a defense against some
identifiable harassment, but of defending against the outing itself.)

Kirill