[WikiEN-l] The Second Rape: Victim-Blaming (was Re: Self-sensorship, how far should it go?)

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 19:54:06 UTC 2007

On 8/2/07, Stephen Park <stephenpark15 at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
> I also think your premise in B is incorrect. If continued speculation,
> discussion etc were not harmful then why all the effort in
> oversighting her earlier edits in various articles etc?

O_o

Let me be clear: I don't see how edits deleted/oversighted a year ago
have anything baring on "continued speculation".  If you're talking
about those then I don't know what to say to you.

If you're talking about the recent suppression of discussion, then
that was half the point of my comment:

By the continued use heavy handed actions it is being implied that
there is a privacy problem with this discussion. If thats the case the
only solution  is an identity change.

I was trying to imply that there was any choice here, rather I was
saying that there needs to be identity change exclusive-OR the tools
are currently being misused.  I don't have the information to know
which of these two possibilities are true, but I just can't see any
way that aggressive deletion/oversight based discussion suppression is
acceptable which doesn't also demand an identity wipe in the interests
of the wellfair of the involved parties.

It seems to me that we need to stop thinking in terms of "win" and
"lose". There seems to be so much energy going in to prevent the
trolls from "winning" (or, on the other side, people trying to make
the evil Jay and Slim "lose") that we can't step back and behave
sanely.