[WikiEN-l] The Second Rape: Victim-Blaming (was Re: Self-sensorship, how far should it go?)

Armed Blowfish diodontida.armata at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 2 17:18:54 UTC 2007

> On 8/2/07, Phil Sandifer <Snowspinner at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The
> > "second rape" comparison does not miss the mark. That is not to
> > equate what happened to me, or to SlimVirgin with rape. It's just to
> > note that both are traumatic events that involve one's privacy and
> > life being violated. Theories that explain one have a place in
> > explaining the other.
>
> What journals have the studdies backing that claim up been published in?
>
> --
> geni

You could try the Journal of Interpersonal Violence, although
unfortunately, only abstracts are available for free online.   Here's
a link anyway:
http://jiv.sagepub.com/archive/

A few searches that make good starting points:
http://online.sagepub.com/cgi/searchresults?src=selected&journal_set=spjiv&fulltext=rape+stalking
 (Better if you do an 'and' search rather than an 'or' search, but I
can't figure out how to get a link for the former.)
http://online.sagepub.com/cgi/searchresults?src=selected&journal_set=spjiv&fulltext=%22intimate+partner+violence%22
http://online.sagepub.com/cgi/searchresults?fulltext=%22second+rape%22&src=hw
http://online.sagepub.com/cgi/searchresults?fulltext=%22second+assault%22&src=hw
http://online.sagepub.com/cgi/searchresults?fulltext=%22secondary+victimization%22&src=hw

The main problem with internet stalking is that once they can find you
in person, physical abuse from stalkers - whether the original or new
ones - can follow.  Although it can certainly be hurtful enough
without that, it has the potential to get much worse.  Having friends
will help make SlimVirgin less vulnerable to further abuse.

'Identity and Deception in the Virtual Community' by Judith Donath of
MIT Media Labs, published in 'Communities in Cyberspace', is available
online.
http://smg.media.mit.edu/people/Judith/Identity/IdentityDeception.html

This quote Donath found on USENET is of particular interest,
'As far as letting you know my name or giving you my fingerprints or
whatever else you demand, no I don't think so. There is more going on
in this net than just misc.fitness.weights. I'm involved in the net
war in alt.religion.scientology. Those cultists have so far raided 4
of their net critics on bogus copyright violation charges, and in one
case they placed a large amount of LSD on the toothbrush of a person
who was raided, a couple of days before he was to undergo a video
deposition. In my city they have been convicted of several crimes,
including infiltrating the municipal, provincial, and federal police
forces. No, I will not give out my name just to satify your
curiousity. Deal with it.'

Armed Blowfish