[WikiEN-l] Self-sensorship, how far should it go?

Slim Virgin slimvirgin at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 05:33:46 UTC 2007

On 8/1/07, John Lee <johnleemk at gmail.com> wrote:
> If I knew nothing about SV and her Wikipedia history, I would at least
> expect my n00b question of "SV, what's this on /. about you supposedly being
> some sort of spy?" or my n00b statement of fact like "SV, there's this silly
> thing on /. about you being a secret agent" to be responded to civilly, with
> at least a brief explanation, rather than having them being removed from the
> talk page without a trace, and people going around asking for revisions with
> my question to be oversighted.

John, with respect, you don't know the facts. I did not ask for any
discussion about this to be oversighted, either directly or
indirectly. I'm aware of one request that was made to oversight
something (I believe a link or a name, but I don't recall exactly)
made in good faith, but not made to David Gerard, and not made by any
of the editors you and others have named on this list. I learned about
it after the fact, not before. If there were other requests, I don't
know about them.

You seem to be flailing around trying to find some blame for something
that you can pin on a tiny number of people, but the facts don't fit
your hypothesis. For example, there has been discussion of this on
Wikipedia, but the discussion fizzled out. The thread is still there,
still open, not removed. You could go and discuss it, instead of
complaining here that it can't be discussed.

Please get the facts straight before reaching any more conclusions. If
there's anything you need to know, you're welcome to e-mail me.

Sarah