[WikiEN-l] Self-sensorship, how far should it go?

Stan Shebs stanshebs at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 1 20:11:20 UTC 2007

Andrew Gray wrote:
> I note this thread began because a debate about Slim's identity, and
> the massive efforts gone to to conceal edits associated with her, *was
> on the front page of slashdot*. (Slashdot. Not Wikipedia Review, or
> Encyclopedia Dramatica, or anyone else; Slashdot, perhaps a classic
> example of our "natural supporters".)
Slashdot appearances are not as big a deal as they once were - Internet
has a much broader reach now. Several days later I see that Google News
shows no other source troubling to take up the story. I would say that
Slashdot readers are sufficiently savvy to recognize conspiracy
theories, and to realize that a story about "infiltration of WP" is a
more of a insiders' joke than anything else, like one of those "Linux is
a Microsoft plot against Apple" stories that go by from time to time.

Stan