[WikiEN-l] Self-sensorship, how far should it go?

Stan Shebs stanshebs at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 1 16:05:05 UTC 2007

Andrew Gray wrote:
> Please leave. All of you. The project is more important than your
> pride, and you are dragging it down; this situation is never going to
> improve unless someone walks away.

I understand the motivation for saying this, but I think you
misunderstand the goals of the people attacking WP; they are not after
individuals, they want the project as a whole to fail, or to come under
their control in some way. If a dozen prominent Wikipedians leave, then
the attackers will go after the next dozen, and so forth. Go and read
some of the conspiracy stuff at WR; Jimbo's use of the term "lunatics"
is not an exaggeration! Is that really who you want deciding what goes
on at WP?

Appeasement is not going to work.

Stan