[WikiEN-l] Self-sensorship, how far should it go?

ElinorD elinordf at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 00:47:47 UTC 2007

> On 7/29/07, Steve Summit <scs at eskimo.com> wrote:
>
> > A single, simple statement on Slim's user or talk page, saying
> > that the rumor is false, would be much better than all this
> > rampant reverting by ElinorD, Jayjg, and Crum375.

You honestly think that if she said it was false, everyone would go away and
leave her alone, and all the trolling and stalking would stop?

If I were in Slim's position, I would make no comment either. You don't
start answering some of the stalkers' questions, knowing that there will be
more later. Remember that they have found various "identities" for her, and
are still looking. Presumably, they'll come up with a few more in the next
year. What is she supposed to do? Make a statement on this occasion, and
keep silence when they actually guess right?

Q. Is it true that your name is Melissa Davenport?
A. No, that's false.

Q. Is it true that your name is Marjorie Simpson?
A. No, that's false.

Q. Is it true that your name is Jennifer Collins?
A. I refuse to say.

What kind of impression would that give?