[WikiEN-l] Category destruction

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 20:35:44 UTC 2007

On 29/04/07, Marc Riddell <michaeldavid86 at comcast.net> wrote:
> on 4/29/07 11:14 AM, John Lee at johnleemk at gmail.com wrote:
>
> > as policy is descriptive, not
> > prescriptive, use common sense when categorising, unless you feel the
> > situation is too complex for your common sense to be right.
>
> Perhaps the only solution here is to go back to the drawing board - blank
> the entire Policy Page, and start all over again.

And here we come to the fundamental problem. It's all very well to say
we need to redevelop the category system, to say that the system is
broken and failing and so on, but in order to do this we need to
*decide what categories are*.

We have yet to manage this. Everyone brings their own conceptions to
the table; we regularly get complaints about the stupidity and
wastefulness of the system, which are fundamentally just "my preferred
concept of what this system is is not being used".

We need to sort this out before we go any further - and the problem is
that both sides are entirely convinced that theirs is the self-evident
only way to work.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk