[WikiEN-l] Another conflict regarding linking to"attack sites"

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Sun Apr 29 13:38:04 UTC 2007

On 29 Apr 2007 at 13:42:38 +0100, Guy Chapman aka JzG
<guy.chapman at spamcop.net> wrote:

> There are some editors who have been so viciously attacked that any
> link to these sites, however innocuous the individual page, feels like
> a mortal insult.  What's on these sites that justifies that pain?

That sounds like a similar mindset to the one that has produced
politically-correct speech codes on university campuses; it's the
idea that avoiding hurting the feelings of the most sensitive people
is more important than allowing the vigorous exercise of free speech.

One thing I've always prided myself about Wikipedia was that it was
unafraid to confront its critics head-on [Apply directly to the
forehead...]. Rather than cower in fear of anybody who's attacking
us, or cultishly try to shield the eyes of the faithful from anything
that might disrupt the Wikipedian Worldview (even the Ayn Rand cult
is known for trying to suppress heretical views, as when they urged
their adherents not to read anything by Nathaniel and Barbara Branden
once they were excommunicated), we've normally taken a position that
there is much to be gained and little to be lost by being aware of
everything being said about us -- from intelligent, thoughtful
criticism to intemperate, ridiculous attacks, and everything in
between.  We can learn from the constructive criticism, rebut the
misguided critics, choose to ignore the utterly ridiculous, but in
any case, it's a bad idea to try to forcibly suppress any of them; it
just makes it seem like we've got something to hide or fear.

--
== Dan ==