[WikiEN-l] Why aren't *all* wikia.com links restricted under nofollow?

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Sun Apr 29 03:19:52 UTC 2007

On 4/27/07, Joe Szilagyi <szilagyi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Why aren't links to all *.Wikia.com links covered by nofollow?

Some Wikia links are so-called interwiki links, a type of link that
has a registered shortcut in a special table in the database. The idea
of interwiki links predates Wikia by a few years; they were originally
invented to bring the various wiki communities closer together by
having simple linking patterns, e.g. MeatBall:AssumeGoodFaith for a
link to MeatballWiki.

The software feature of interwiki links does not currently add the
nofollow tag. That applies to Wikia as to any other wiki in the
interwiki map. I suppose you could consider it a fairness issue, but
if it really bothers you, the code is open, and I'm sure Brion will be
happy to accept a patch that allows nofollow to be turned on for
interwiki links as well.
--
Peace & Love,
Erik

"An old, rigid civilization is reluctantly dying. Something new, open,
free and exciting is waking up." -- Ming the Mechanic