[WikiEN-l] Another conflict regarding linking to "attack sites"

Blu Aardvark jeffrey.latham at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 22:09:24 UTC 2007

There's not really any reason for that, either. Common sense dictates
that if a user posts a link to a site attempting to "out" editors (and
that user is clearly doing so in order to troll or engage in
harassment), then that edit can be reverted and the user blocked, and
current policy agrees.

On the other hand, there *are* times where it is appropriate to link to
such sites, and people should recognize this. For example, suppose an
editor who had posted to WR was up for RFA. It would seem appropriate if
a user linked to one of their posts on the forum to question them
regarding it. Or, as another example, look at my ArbCom <s>case</s>
lynching. Some of my posts to Wikipedia Review were entered as
"evidence", and I doubt anyone would consider this to have been
inappropriate.

The problem with adding new policies or amending existent policies to
address the issue of users posting such links is that it is essentially
the same as telling them not to stuff beans up their nose. Most
good-faith editors wouldn't link to such sites, except for in a select
few circumstances where it might be appropriate to do so. But trolls and
other bad-faith users, upon seeing such a policy, will actually *look*
for the problematic websites.

Stirring up drama over this issue actually draws more attention to the
websites you are trying to limit the effect of. Probably not a good idea.