[WikiEN-l] Another stupid article about vandalism. What can we do?

MacGyverMagic/Mgm macgyvermagic at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 08:35:26 UTC 2007

On 4/21/07, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:

> I read an article in a trashy free daily commuter paper ("mX"*,
> probably not available online) which described how [[David Beckham]]
> had apparently been replaced with the word TWAT. The article cited an
> interview with a computer security expert of some kind who said
> Wikipedia's servers might have been "hijacked", and it was surprising
> that we didn't have any kind of "protection". Supposedly "Wikipedia
> did not return mX's call."
>
> According to the history, the TWAT change lasted three minutes.
> Obviously the story is crap, but is there anything we can do to stop
> these stories? Send a press release to every paper in the world
> explaining what Wikipedia vandalism is and why it's not a story every
> time it happens?
>
> Steve
> * Published in Melbourne, Australia

I'm still at a loss about how these publications don't notice that if anyone
can edit, we can't be hijacked.
If they bother to look up the VFAQ for example, they would find out we have
plenty of protection in place.
I'd send them a letter and make them publish a correction. Maybe that will
get them to do their research.

Mgm