[WikiEN-l] You Really Don't Get It

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 12:21:13 UTC 2007

On 23/04/07, John Lee <johnleemk at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure why these attempts failed, but it may be that getting to know
> your fellow editors as humans isn't very conducive to creating a culture of
> mutual respect if you can't even respect them on a professional level. (The
> most active and vocal Esperanzeans also had some of the most active and
> vocal assumers of bad faith in their number.)

Much like the problem of wiki governance - 4300 frequent editors in
any given month (and 43,000 less frequent editors) is somewhat more
than 100-150. The usual solution is something to do with voting. But
Wikipedia systems including anything resembling a vote seem to rapidly
decay either into an insular committee of regulars or a lynch mob.

- d.