[WikiEN-l] A challange to those who say the system works

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Sun Apr 22 23:06:40 UTC 2007

Thomas Dalton wrote:
>> Of course, it's much quicker to tag something than to check it. I was
>> working on an article earlier that I added references for the bits I
>> could find and added a {{fact}} tag to one bit I couldn't verify,
>> although it seems right - the hope is that someone else comes across
>> it who can check it.
>
> If you looked for a reference and couldn't find one, I think it would
> have been better to remove the statement, rather than just tag it.

The "although it seems right" part is the important bit. I think it's
appropriate to leave in unsourced stuff that isn't controversial and one
is either reasonably sure is correct or at least one realizes that they
don't know enough in that subject area to have the faintest idea whether
it's correct. This is a collaborative work-in-progress, it's not
necessary for any one editor to do all the work on an article or to
leave an article in "perfect" condition at any given time.