[WikiEN-l] Jimmy Wales should reconsider

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 17:38:25 UTC 2007

On 22/04/07, Bryan Derksen <bryan.derksen at shaw.ca> wrote:
> doc wrote:

> > Most of the real BLP issues group round biographies of little known
> > people. Bios that be nature can only ever have information about the bit
> > part they played in some small-town scandal, and thus can never be a
> > balanced 'biography' of the person's life. Bios that highlight news that
> > otherwise would be forgotten. Bios that are damaging because they may
> > are the only public biography of the person in existence. Bios that by
> > nature are under-watched. Bios where few will know enough to spot spin
> > and hatchet jobs.

> Actually, when I was browsing through that list of {{unreferenced}}
> biographies last night I didn't come across a single one of these. The
> only person I found whose notoriety was due to a "scandal" actually
> looked pretty significant (not just some small-town thing) and had a lot
> of information about him out on the web.
> The vast majority of the little-known people with biographies were minor
> sports figures, singers, actors, models, race car drivers, etc. whose
> articles were completely non-controversial and didn't mention any
> scandalous events.

Yes.

The problem is that doing lots of OTRS leaves one with a ridiculously
distorted view of the content of Wikipedia. Wikipedia is HUGE.

And it's not run for the benefit of OTRS. I recall Submarine posting
to foundation-l that the Foundation should unilaterally delete all
school articles from en:wp because they caused lots of OTRS
complaints. He did not bother saying one word on en:wp itself or on
this list, and did not answer when asked why he had not.

OTRS, it twists the mind.

- d.