[WikiEN-l] A challange to those who say the system works

Michael Snow wikipedia at att.net
Sun Apr 22 06:28:18 UTC 2007

Eugene van der Pijll wrote:

>doc schreef:
>

>>Courtesy of Messed rocker, we now have a list of biographies of living
>>people that are marked as lacking citations. There are over 8,300 of
>>them - and that's just the ones marked as unreferenced.
>>
>>To those that say the system roughly works, and we shouldn't contemplate
>>   changing our inclusionism, I say, fix this. No more saying 'it can be
>>done', if it can, do it.
>>

>I guess the list shows that {{unreferenced}} is overused. Most of the
>articles on the list are not in the least problematic.

That may be true, in the sense that not every unreferenced article
raises major ethical concerns. Though it's undeniable that we have
seriously flawed articles, and if that includes so much as one out of a
hundred of these, it's far too many. Maybe we should delete most of our
overused templates and encourage people to actually work on articles
instead of playing with tags.

--Michael Snow