[WikiEN-l] Seth Finkelstein

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Sun Apr 22 01:11:50 UTC 2007

I'm disappointed that Finkelstein was first labeled a troll (by Jimbo
himself) and then put on moderation; this despite the fact that I
disagree with many of his views.  I found his writing interesting and
thoughtful, and of some use in current debates given that he presents
a viewpoint very similar to Brandt's, but (as somebody put it on this
list a long time ago) speaks fluent geek, showing more respect for
Wikipedia and "free" computing projects in general than does Brandt,
who can't resist getting in a few sneers at Internet culture and
teenage geeks.  Thus, he's better at presenting a particular set of
ideas and criticisms in a way we can understand and appreciate, even
if we still don't agree with them.  He's not a "troll" unless you
Assume Bad Faith about him.

--
== Dan ==