[WikiEN-l] You Really Don't Get It

Cascadia cascadia at privatenoc.com
Sun Apr 22 00:45:28 UTC 2007

I agree with you Todd. I've noticed some things on top of that too (I
appologize if I double up on some).

- Be too nice to the newbie, shoot the veteran: I know Todd said this, but
it happens too much- We're so afraid of biting people that we'll throw the
book at a seasoned editor.
- Arrogance by some seasoned editors: I know some people will probably want
to lynch me, but there seems to be a lot of arrogance from some editors that
have a lot of edits under their belt, as if they are supreme masters of
Wikipedia, and what they say goes. Don't bother discussing or even arguing
with them. A newer, inexperienced editor eventually gets pissed that user:x
has declared themselves god, gets to do damn near what ever he/she wants,
with no recourse. The newer user follow similar action: shot on sight.
- Wiki-movements: such as kill buerocracy by whatever means possible, etc.
- Lack of accountability for Admins: Although most admins do a fine job,
there are times where issues arrise that if a complaintant has a legitimate
argument, they have a snowballs chance in hell of any discipline actually
occuring because Admin Joe makes X good actions. Just like any other
organization, sometimes all it takes is one.
- Damn near everything else Todd stated.

I think some of these issues can be resolved quickly:
- Todd covered Newbie biting vs. Vetreran killing.
- Arrogance: Just needs to stop. A reminder that this is a community and as
such, everyone has the right/ability to enter into any discussion. I doesn't
matter if you've been here 4 years, or 4 days, made 500,000 edis, or 500.
Cases of arrogance or "I am king" attitudes need to also have a clear
discipline schedule.
- Wiki-movements... not much can be done as far as I can see, but they are
annoying none the less.
- Simply set up a Admin Complaint and Discipline structure: An editor makes
a complaint against admin X to a specific location, uninvolved Admin Y
(preferibly not his buddy) reviews and determines if it is legit (diffs
would be needed). If it is legit, then it is added to the admin's "complaint
count", and an action is taken based off a predetermined complaint schedule.
- Overall: ENSTILL A SENSE OF COMMUNITY. Too much, editors are simply a name
or IP address. Encourage entoracting between editors.

Just my 2 cents.

-Cascadia.

"Todd Allen" <toddmallen at gmail.com> wrote in
message news:2a34d5a90704202356l167243e9n27e0654ef5f4e4d9 at mail.gmail.com...