[WikiEN-l] Jimmy Wales should reconsider

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Apr 21 23:12:54 UTC 2007

Slim Virgin wrote:

>On 4/20/07, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:
>

>>If Brandt wants to sincerely work with us to achieve that -- fixing
>>any remaining flaws in his biography, and working with us to identify
>>strategies to keep it, and other similar articles, sane -- then he
>>should say so. He should stop his obsessive-compulsive crusade against
>>Wikipedia, including his ridiculous attempts to unmask individual
>>users, and recognize that he is dealing with a group of people who
>>mean him no harm. He could have worked with this group of people a
>>long time ago. But apparently having some enemy to rail against is
>>more satisfying.
>>

>Would it be an accceptable compromise to revert the article to the
>version Brandt declared himself happy with in October 2005,
>http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Daniel_Brandt&oldid=25614242
>update it a little, add some citations, then protect it for a longish
>period until feelings have died down? If Brandt reciprocates by
>refraining from commenting elsewhere on Wikpedia issues, the
>excitement over his bio will diminish and most reasonable people will
>be too bored to start the issue up again when it's unprotected.

Coming from you as one of the offended people this is certainly a
positive suggestion.  This could at least be done until stable versions
are implemented, which we are constantly reassured are just around the
corner.

Commenting on Wikipedia elsewhere should not be the problem; this is
after all a very high profile website.  Restricting his personal
comments about individual Wikipedians would be more desirable.

Ec