[WikiEN-l] Fwd: Quitting while I'm ahead (or at least not smeared)

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 22:16:33 UTC 2007

Forwarded for Tony for Seth.

- d.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Tony Sidaway <tonysidaway at gmail.com>
Date: 21-Apr-2007 22:56
Subject: Fwd: Quitting while I'm ahead (or at least not smeared)
To: David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Seth Finkelstein <sethf at sethf.com>
Date: Apr 21, 2007 5:22 PM
Subject: Quitting while I'm ahead (or at least not smeared)
To: Tony Sidaway <tonysidaway at gmail.com>

[Tony, can you do me a favor and forward this to wikien-l ? I don't
trust the good graces of someone who calls me a "media troll". Thanks]

        I was composing a reply to Wales' message saying that I thought
it was particularly inappropriate to accuse me of trolling when a key
element of my scenario ("Jimbo will *PERSONALLY* REBLOCK Brandt") had
just been proven *true*. Granted, I didn't get everything right, but
particularly in the wake of the reblocking, such a charge seemed to be
shooting-the-messenger.

        Then I found myself penalized and misquoted ("blatantly
say they're doing it to stir up material for a column" - I said no
such thing, and this is a complete distortion of my being fully open
and transparent in disclosure - ever consider that if I were inclined
to sensationalism, I'd just been handed a great story-"hook"?).
Further, I assume the person who mischaracterized me is then
the person I'd have to appeal to in order to post a defense.

        It's not worth it.

        I've had enough Net experience to know by now that challenging
the gods tends to get you turned into a newt, and it rarely gets better.
So I'm going to quit while I'm ahead, or at least not thoroughly smeared.

--
Seth Finkelstein  Consulting Programmer  http://sethf.com/
Infothought blog - http://sethf.com/infothought/blog/