[WikiEN-l] Counting coup

Brock Weller brock.weller at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 20:21:46 UTC 2007

If the quotes only available on wiki and the mirrors, remove it. Challenge
him for a source (be aware though, that offline sources are perfectly
acceptable. If its in a book, get all that information and ISBN number and
look in the print. The reason no one did anything is you failed to provide
specifics. You still have yet to provide a name. We cant look at the edits
you tell us supposedly exist because we have yet to see them. Either show us
something we can actually comment on, or this is nothing more the trolling
and I'll kindly tell you to go do something productive.

On 4/21/07, K P <kpbotany at gmail.com> wrote:

> I posted about a user, and no one seemed to care, that the user appears to
> not have the background they quote themselves as having (namely someone
> who
> is a phd in physics who does not understand the difference between
> strike-slip deformation and uplift).  This user also uploads images
> without
> permission to use them, and when challenged for the copyright, simply said
> they were unable to get hold of the copyright holder again, so the image
> could be deleted.  This user also quotes himself in numerous articles and
> reports, and the reports he quotes can be found nowhere else on the web
> besides Wikipedia and its mirrors, uses botanical terminology incorrectly,
> yet writes botany articles and fights to the death challenges to his
> wording, quotes material from the Jepson Manual that isn't in there,
> improperly references geological material that he obviously hasn't read or
> used.
>
> To me, one of the reasons that people like the supposed phd professor get
> away with claiming they are someone else, is that there is no way on
> Wikipedia to deal with users like this.  No one cared about the woman who
> wholesale copied another's user page, and claimed to be on staff at a
> non-existant university, and there is no way for the average editor to
> deal
> with issues like this, no exposure method.  It surprises me, considering
> all
> the talk about whether or not we should institute a credentials
> verification
> method, that there is no place that an editor can go to say, look, this
> person is doing tons of work on Wikipedia, but there are some big problems
> with his work, he uploads images that are clearly copyrighted by others,
> saying he has permission, then can't find it, he does lots of botany
> articles, but can't read in botany, and fights when challenged, his quotes
> from geological sources are flat-out wrong, maybe in the thousands of
> edits
> he so gleefully announces on his user page,  he claims to have written
> hundreds of technical articles but has difficulty handling technical
> language, his paragraphs are often obvious cuts and pastes from diverse
> unrelated sources that appear to be unrelated, he rambles all over the
> place, repeats himself, translates things like yellow-green leaves in one
> sentence to yellow-green flowers in the next, but then goes on to
> correctly
> describe the flowers as oranges and reds, and maybe there are a lot more
> problems that aren't in areas where I've overlapped with him.
>
> Maybe, instead of debating the credentials issue, we could debate, how
> these
> users, the Essjay's (or whatever his name was), should be handled in the
> future. What editors should do when they encounter problems at this level,
> [...]

-Brock