[WikiEN-l] Brandt unblocked by Jimbo - community support?

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Sat Apr 21 10:16:54 UTC 2007

MacGyverMagic/Mgm wrote:
> What they do outside Wikipedia may not be in our jurisdiction, but whether
> we allow people who engage in illegal activities off-wiki something we can
> control. It makes no sense:
> If I attack someone on their talk page I get blocked, but if I do it on some
> random internet forum I can get away with it? That's just playing into the
> hands of troublemakers.
>
> Besides, haven't email attacks been used as evidence to get someone blocked.
> Is email on or off wiki?

Yes, it can be legitimate to block someone for off-wiki activities.  Our
tradition has been to try to mostly avoid it as being overly intrusive
into the lives of editors, but it really depends on the context and
complex judgment calls.  That's what the ArbCom is for.  It is a
depressing and difficult job.

--Jimbo