[WikiEN-l] Ryulong blocked ALL accounts

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 08:02:39 UTC 2007

On 21/04/07, Newyorkbrad (Wikipedia) <newyorkbrad at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think there is a consensus, general though not certainly not unanimous,
> that Ryulong's blocks were unwarranted

Perhaps as judged after the fact, but did you look at the log and see
the string of names in question? It looked for all the world like
blocking a persistent sockpuppet troll nest.

> and that he compounded the mistake by
> failing to disable autoblock.

Again: precisely the right thing to do with a persistent troll nest.

That it turned out not to be a persistent troll nest is why admin
actions are reversible.

>  I think it's also clear that he acted in good
> faith, that his not having thought through the autoblock issue was
> inadvertent, that the blocks have all been lifted, that he has not reblocked
> anyone, and that in fact he has apologized on-wiki for the blocks.  With all
> the other concerns to worry about, I fail to see why that isn't the end of
> this aspect of the matter.

Because people mistake tolerated behaviour for "rights"?

- d.