[WikiEN-l] Brandt, bios, and other thoughts

Sheldon Rampton sheldon at prwatch.org
Sat Apr 21 03:17:53 UTC 2007

George Herbert wrote:

> I thought long and hard about whether the label was appropriate or
> hyperbole in this situation, and then decided to use it.

I thought long and hard over whether it was appropriate or hyperbole
to call George Herbert "worse than Hitler," and then decided to use
it. ;-)

Seriously: calling Brandt a "terrorist" is clearly inappropriate and
offensive hyperbole. Here are some minimal definitional standards
that should apply before seriously labeling someone a terrorist: Have
they done anything illegal? Have they done anything violent?

Brandt's actions may be annoying, irritating and offensive to many
people, but "terrorism"? Puh-lease. If you seriously thought he was a
terrorist, you'd call the FBI, not whine about him here.

This sort of thing is a perfect example of the myopic groupthink that
has made it so difficult for Wikipedia to resolve its problems with
Daniel Brandt. Calling him a "terrorist" is clearly not only untrue
but as loaded a term of insult as can possibly be imagined. The
dumbest newspaper editor on earth knows that words like "terrorist"
or "sociopath" belong on his shortlist of potentially libelous terms
to avoid unless absolutely warranted, but members of this community
spew venom like this with blithe abandon and then pompously assert
that they are justified in doing so because they "thought long and
hard" over it. And then they wonder why people get mad at them.

|  Subscribe to our free weekly list serve by visiting:
|  http://www.prwatch.org/cmd/subscribe_sotd.html
|
|  Donate now to support independent, public interest reporting:

https://secure.democracyinaction.org/dia/organizations/cmd/shop/
custom.jsp?donate_page_KEY=1107