[WikiEN-l] Question about fundraising and linguists on wikipedia

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 23:43:42 UTC 2007

On 4/20/07, Florence Devouard <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> David Gerard wrote:
> > On 20/04/07, Andrew Gray <shimgray at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I'm surprised you hadn't heard - I know it's been discussed
> >> (positively) on this mailing list before. It's pretty much exactly
> >> what we could want from paid editing.
> >

> > And on foundation-l, I think. GerardM was publicising it too.
> >

> > - d.
>
> With the mention of the fundraising page ?
>
> Ant

As I understood it, they were having a fund drive anyway (for them) and
raised some extra funds to hire a person to work on Wikipedia articles. They
weren't trying to raise funds *for* wikipedia, just for paying labor that
would work on wikipedia. Basically they were trying to get a vote of
confidence from their community that it would be a good thing to do.

I've not heard anything about how it's turned out or what actions they've
taken... has anyone else?
phoebe