[WikiEN-l] Jimmy Wales should reconsider

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Fri Apr 20 18:34:44 UTC 2007

On 4/20/07, Fred Bauder <fredbaud at waterwiki.info> wrote:
> Failure to do so
> is actionable if the content is illegal, assuming that the Board
> is made aware of the situation.

It would not be wise to discuss legal strategy in public. That said, I
think the idea that Brandt's article is "illegal" is preposterous.
Brandt does not dispute the accuracy of the information in it; his
core argument is that it presents him in a "false light". At the same
time, he acknowledges that the distribution of publications about his
activities results in a natural bias on the kinds of activities which
he was involved in. This makes the entire argument meaningless; there
is no evidence whatsoever of an attempt to deliberately give a false
impression of who Brandt is and what he is doing. If such claims held
any water, virtually any publication about Brandt's work would be
similarly defamatory.

> Erik thinks very highly of Wikipedia's mission, and feels that
> the topics it chooses to cover should enjoy sanctuary from outside
> interference

Not at all. If I actually saw any evidence that Brandt was being
deliberately harmed through his article, I would be much more
concerned about the legal implications. However, as far as I can tell,
all that people have tried to do is write a neutral, well-sourced
biography. That is what Wikipedia is for.

Brandt has to figure out what he wants. If he believes he has a moral
or legal case because of the text of his biography, he has completely
lost touch with reality; this text has been more diligently researched
than probably anything that has ever been written about him in his
life. If he, on the other hand, argues that _any_ Wikipedia article
could _potentially_ contain something negative, he has similarly no
legal case (so could any discussion forum, including the ones he posts
to); however, I would agree that he has a limited _moral_ case.
Wikipedia should do its best to protect the integrity of articles
about living persons. We are not a random web forum and should hold
our articles to a higher standard.

If Brandt wants to sincerely work with us to achieve that -- fixing
any remaining flaws in his biography, and working with us to identify
strategies to keep it, and other similar articles, sane -- then he
should say so. He should stop his obsessive-compulsive crusade against
Wikipedia, including his ridiculous attempts to unmask individual
users, and recognize that he is dealing with a group of people who
mean him no harm. He could have worked with this group of people a
long time ago. But apparently having some enemy to rail against is
more satisfying.
--
Peace & Love,
Erik

"An old, rigid civilization is reluctantly dying. Something new, open,
free and exciting is waking up." -- Ming the Mechanic