[WikiEN-l] Editors who don't appear who they claim to be

Steve Summit scs at eskimo.com
Fri Apr 20 15:24:20 UTC 2007

KP wrote:
> I'm not "refusing" to provide the name.  I would like to understand
> the situation from a general standpoint.  The Wikipedia community
> has a tendency not to deal with generalities...   If we start with
> names and posts the conversation will degenerate into a discussion
> of this specific incident...

Okay, fair enough.  (I've done the same, for the same reason.
And "refuse" was too strong; I should have said "decline".)

At the end of the day, though, pretty much Wikipedia's only real
defense mechanism against a determined, persistent vandal (or
other anticonstructuve editor) is determined persistence on the
side of righteousness and truth.  There's no silver bullet; we
just need to make sure the good guys substantially outnumber the
bad guys, and that the bad work stays visible so it can be fixed.