[WikiEN-l] "Suicide methods" atricle: Epilogue

Marc Riddell michaeldavid86 at comcast.net
Fri Apr 20 12:57:42 UTC 2007

Folks

What began as a discussion about an Article in Wikipedia, describing the
various methods that can be used to commit suicide, seemed to somehow evolve
into a discussion about a person¹s ³right to die² and the moral issues
regarding the act of suicide.

Some final thoughts from me:

A person¹s ³right to die² is a legal issue; whether it is ³right² for a
person to take their own life is a moral one.

If a person is in unbearable pain, and relief from that pain and its cause
are beyond the abilities of present day science; than, yes, I believe that
person does have the right to end that pain.

A person is not born with a set of morals; these are taught to us as a part
of the particular culture we happen to be born into.

I work with the core of a person. This is the deepest, most fundamental part
that exists before the cultural, social and religious are superimposed. This
is a person¹s ³gut instinct²; that part that says, ³this doesn¹t feel
right². When a conflict exists between what a person feels is right and what
they have been taught is right; this most often, results in emotional pain ­
and, in extreme cases, the person decides death is the only thing that can
relieve this pain.

It is my commitment to this person to help them resolve this pain.

As for the Suicide methods Article: I can see no positive reason for its
existence.

Marc Riddell