[WikiEN-l] Brandt unblocked by Jimbo - community support?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Apr 20 02:11:26 UTC 2007

Jimmy Wales wrote:

>Slim Virgin wrote:
>

>>The problem with it, Erik, is that it sends a message that users may
>>harass and stalk other users, post libel about them, out them, contact
>>their employers, contact their boyfriends, and generally try to make
>>life miserable for them, so long as they do it off-wiki.
>>
>>Is that your position?
>>

>It is not my position, in case you wanted to ask me as well as Erik.
>
>It is my position, though, that a symbolic act of good faith during a
>promising negotiation to get that sort of behavior STOPPED, can be
>worthwhile to try.

This is important.  The opportunity to redeem oneself should always be
there, and this cannot happen as long as the "victims" continue to dwell
upon past injuries.  I'm sure that if Brandt or anyone else in his
position restarts a lot of nonsense, the community will not be shy about
dealing with it.

Ec