[WikiEN-l] Will the WMF protect admins acting as their agents to enforce policies?

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 23:28:09 UTC 2007

What kind of things are we expecting admins to get sued over? If an
admin does something illegal, it is the admin that is responsible,
quite obviously (not that I can see anything with illegal potential
among the admin tools). If the WMF were to protect admins that are
sued unfairly, the WMF would need to determine whether or not the
legal action is justified, which is the whole point of the court case.
Are the board meant to guess the outcome of the trial and if they
guess it will be not guilty then they lend a hand?

I can't see anything an admin could do within the policies of any
Wikimedia project that would put them at risk legally. If you get sued
unfairly, then you can always counter-sue for the costs. Finding the
money to pay a lawyer until the end of the trial might be tricky, but
I wouldn't be surprised if you could get someone to do it pro bono.