[WikiEN-l] Brandt compromise

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Thu Apr 19 22:52:16 UTC 2007

Folks, folks -

I think a compromise possibility briefly popped up already, let me
highlight it again:

Daniel Brandt (and any other person in a similar situation) ought to
be permitted to comment directly on the talk page of his biography as
long as he does not become extremely disruptive, irrespective of
off-wiki conduct. He does not, from his comments I've seen, appear to
have any interest in Wikipedia beyond that, anyway. So, his editing
privileges can be limited in this way -- enforced by another block if
he violates this basic rule. (The overall block would only be lifted
if there is a more substantial improvement in the relationship, mutual
apologies, and so forth.)

Yes, this means he will keep us busy with comments and objections to
the way the bio is phrased. But I think that's only fair; we put it
there, we refuse to remove it on his request, we should at least give
him a very simple & public method of pointing out what he considers to
be bias or errors. A person's off wiki-behavior should have no bearing
on this very basic privilege -- as long as they can still access the
site, and if they're not causing significant disruption, they should
be permitted to comment on "their" bio.

Jimmy et al. - could that be a reasonable compromise?
--
Peace & Love,
Erik

"An old, rigid civilization is reluctantly dying. Something new, open,
free and exciting is waking up." -- Ming the Mechanic