[WikiEN-l] "Suicide methods" article

Tim Starling tstarling at wikimedia.org
Mon Apr 16 18:26:34 UTC 2007

Jeff Raymond wrote:
> Newyorkbrad (Wikipedia) wrote:
>
>> I consider myself a rather conventional and non-rouge type of editor and
>> administrator but it is requiring a supreme effort of willpower not to
>> perform an immediate IAR speedy deletion of this article on the ground
>> that
>> it represents an imminent threat to human life and safety whose
>> existence tends to place the project in disrepute.  I have no desire to
>> create drama, but I am gravely troubled and would welcome comments from
>> other Wikipedians.
>
> I hate to be a broken record, but not censored is not censored.  It's not
> u pto us to make a distinction on what may end up being "dangerous."
>
> I mean, are you going to go after [[Self-immolation]]?  [[Erotic
> aspyxiation]]?  Where do we draw the line?

Draw the line where good judgement dictates that it should be drawn. Don't
defend a policy on the basis that there exists no better policy that a
robot could understand -- we are not robots. Wikipedia is not a platform
for free speech, the lack of censorship does not mean we should publish
everything that can possibly be published. We need to select our material
based on more nuanced criteria.

-- Tim Starling