[WikiEN-l] Foreign language WP as a source (Marc Riddell)

Andries Krugers Dagneaux andrieskd at chello.nl
Mon Apr 16 17:05:25 UTC 2007

> On 16/04/07, Marc Riddell <michaeldavid86 at comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> Folks,
>>
>> Real quick question: Is there any problem with using a foreign
language WP
>> Article as a source in the English language one? In this case it's
birth &
>> death dates.
>>
>> I don't think we are meant to use ourselves as sources. Certainly
using an
>> internal link as a source is not allowed, so I would guess a link to
another
>> Wikipedia/WMF project would be similarly frowned upon. Where does the
other
>> Wikipedia get its source for the DOB? - you could use that?

You should cite the non-English Wikipedia article in the reference
unless you have personally checked the sources listed as references in
the non-English Wikipedia. Not doing so would violate [[[WP:CITE]] that
states
"It is improper to copy a citation from an intermediate source without
making clear that you saw only that intermediate source. For example,
you might find some information on a web page which says it comes from a
certain book. Unless you look at the book yourself to check that the
information is there, your reference is really the web page, which is
what you must cite."

Andries