[WikiEN-l] Copyright question

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Apr 13 04:18:43 UTC 2007

Guy Chapman aka JzG wrote:

>On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 17:44:16 -0600, Bryan Derksen wrote:
>

>>That's an uncivil and overly categorical way of saying your opinion differs.
>>

>You say.  Me, I feel that this has been a complete waste of
>everybody's time.  People who know copyright have generally erred on
>the side of excluding the list *in its entirety* as being covered by
>compilation copyright, just like the AFI 100 lists which have recently
>been removed following almost identical discussions, and the balance
>is philosophical argument about whether we believe it *should* be
>copyrightable.

Saying that those  who know copyright  agree with excluding the list is
tantamount to saying they know copyright because they agree with you.
There have been several participants "who know copyright" that have the
opposite view.

>The ironic thing is that if the show considered it significant and put
>it on their website, the copyright violation would e unambiguous, so
>the only reason the argument exists at all is because the show
>considers it too trivial to post on their site.

I still haven't received any response to my previous question.  If a
category tag were placed in the article for each and every car in the
list, and only those cars, would the resulting category page also be a
copyright infringement just because it contained the same information?

Ec