[WikiEN-l] Fwd: Opt Out for Not So Notable Biographies

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 23:05:08 UTC 2007

On 08/04/07, Slim Virgin <slimvirgin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Would it do that any more than the current NPOV policy? The published
> biography could be in any language and from any type of publication
> regarded as reliable in the country of origin.

What about reliable in the field of origin? Most of the problem with
WP:RS is its abuse by the ignorant as a bludgeon against content they
don't like. I do see what makes the idea seem good, but entrenching
that further strikes me as an absolutely awful idea.

In any case, newspaper articles typically take whatever the subject
tells them and reprint it. They are essentially lightly-mediated
autobiography. And if *anyone* here tries to tell me that newspaper
bios are fact checked on any sort of routine basis, I will laugh at
them.

- d.