[WikiEN-l] What can be done to let users fix it themselves?

Ken Arromdee arromdee at rahul.net
Tue Apr 3 19:12:38 UTC 2007

After a post here mentioned it, I went to WP:COI and WP:AUTO.

These two articles seem to promote the view that you're not supposed to edit
an article about yourself.

However, WP:BLP seems to suggest that you can to remove libel or unsourced
material, and it's a common refrain to complaints about Wikipedia, "why didn't
you just fix the article yourself?"

It just isn't consistent to both expect people to fix the article about
themselves, and expect them not to, at the same time.  It's true, of course,
that neither WP:AUTO nor WP:COI are absolute prohibitions, but they discourage
it in *such* strong terms that anyone who comes to Wikipedia with a complaint
about an article about themselves and stumbles across either guideline,
will think that fixing the article isn't allowed.  The subtlety that
"strongly discouraged" doesn't mean "prohibited", or that even a new user
is permitted to violate a guideline, is something they'll completely miss.

How can this be fixed?  I complained on the COI talk page and nobody seems
to care.  And I suspect just editing the guidelines myself would be reverted
within the hour.