[WikiEN-l] Copyright question

Matthew Brown morven at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 17:48:30 UTC 2007

On 4/2/07, John Lee <johnleemk at gmail.com> wrote:
> When there are no secondary sources available, however, then it's a whole
> different ball game: any interpretation of the primary sources is essentially novel,
> and thus verboten under NOR.

This is stretching 'No original research' much further than it should
be or was intended to be, in my opinion.

In this case, the list of cars in the show was assembled from a
primary source using simple criteria: any car shown was listed.
Reaching novel conclusions from the primary source is what is
prohibited, IMO; e.g. speculating as to why these cars were chosen, or
as to the show's preferences or biases, etc etc.

Simple summarizing of a primary source has always been allowed.

-Matt