[WikiEN-l] Copyright question

charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Mon Apr 2 16:01:48 UTC 2007

Bryan Derksen wrote

>OR doesn't ban any conceivable creative act or we'd be in serious
> trouble. Its scope has crept larger over the years, but I still think
> it's stretching it rather far out of the bounds of common sense to claim
> that watching a set of shows and noting down a list of all the cars that
> are covered in them is OR.

Collation without selection or interpretation is not (usually) original research. It is adjacent to it: take a list of collated names, separate out men and women (for example) and you may have done some original research; the bare presentation may 'tell a story' against our content rules. The hypothetical (I hope) TV watcher shouldn't be trying to present a thesis that the program is favouring Japanese cars ...

As usual, I'm not much interested in drawing the line more precisely.

Charles