[WikiEN-l] [[Kristian Menchaca]] - link to video

Sarah slimvirgin at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 10:23:42 UTC 2006

On 10/17/06, Bryan Derksen <bryan.derksen at shaw.ca> wrote:
> Jimmy Wales wrote:
> > I appreciate your concerns, but I think the explanation I gave on the
> > talk page in response to your inquiry was adequate, and I think that
> > this is the sort of explanation that ought to be always adequate
> > everywhere and for everyone in cases of this type.
>
> Your explanation of why you thought the Ogrish link was unreliable was
> "It sounds very much inherently unreliable to me. It is a shock site. It
> has been victimized by hoaxes in the past."
>
> The first sentence is just a repetition of your opinion that it's
> unreliable, the second is a fact that appears well supported on the
> [[Ogrish.com]] page but doesn't necessarily mean it's unreliable (much
> like how "being a blog" doesn't necessarily mean a source is
> unreliable), and the third is unsupported by any examples either
> directly from you or on [[Ogrish.com]] itself.

Bryan, I don't know that the Ogrish link was being used for in this
case, but in general our understanding of what's "reliable" involves a
degree of editorial oversight, such as fact-checking, legal scrutiny,
and so on. I believe the Ogrish site posts video and images from
anyone who sends them in, regardless of whether they're authentic or
staged; if it looks horrible or weird, they'll use it. That makes it
pretty close to the opposite of our definition of reliable.

Sarah