[WikiEN-l] good example of overuse of {{fact}}

geni geniice at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 00:22:03 UTC 2006

On 10/16/06, Steve Summit <scs at eskimo.com> wrote:
> Besides which, I don't think it's too meaningful to say that
> we "don't have the manpower".  We have *vast* quantities of
> manpower, more than we sometimes know what to do with.  We've
> currently got, on average, something like 130 edits being made
> each minute, day in, day out.  That's almost 200,000 edits per
> day, and over 2 per second.  Now, it's true, many of those are to
> talk pages, and the rest are spread out over more than a million
> articles, and some fraction of those are drive-by vandalism, but
> still.

It should be remembered that there are different categories of
manpower. Manpower that will do whatever it darn well likes makes up a
lot of editing. Manpower that can be controlled to a significant
degree is limited as is to be expected on a volunteer project.

> Wikipedia wouldn't exist in its current form if it didn't have
> near-infinite manpower available to it.  Many aspects of
> Wikipedia are clearly impossible due to "lack of manpower",
> yet seem to work just fine anyway.  In fact, Wikipedia is one of
> my two examples (along with, um, Microsoft) of the successful
> application of the Mongolian Hordes technique.  (Oddly enough we
> still don't have an article on this technique, but the Jargon
> File does.)

Probably because having the massive error in naming repeatedly being
pointed out by our military nerds would be depressing.
--
geni