[WikiEN-l] Unblock request - Critique on administrators is no personal attack

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Sun May 28 22:24:09 UTC 2006

On 28/05/06, Delirium <delirium at hackish.org> wrote:
> Fred Bauder wrote:
> > You are right that putting insulting pictures on Wikipedia was a bad
> > idea. Why so many of our users have a blind spot regarding this issue
> > I don't know, but there is a consensus that the pictures ought to be
> > shown.
>
> It's hardly the case that pictures insulting to Muslims are being
> singled out for inclusion on Wikipedia.  I'm not sure if anyone still
> remembers, but there was a bit of an uproar in the United States a few
> years ago about anti-Christian artwork, and we have a photo of the piece
> that triggered that uproar included in the article, [[Piss Christ]].

...and, indeed, this image has been used in a sustained vandalism
campaign recently.

For the record, info-en has receieved complaints about the
Jyllands-Posten cartoons, but it has also - at least, since the
in-the-news-controversy died down - recieved about as many complaints
that I've noticed about the fact that our article on Bahá'u'lláh
includes a picture of him.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk