[WikiEN-l] Separating admin accounts from user accounts (Re: katefan0)

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Sun May 28 14:03:00 UTC 2006

On 5/28/06, Andrew Gray <shimgray at gmail.com> wrote:
> Not that I'm sold on it, but if you're going down *that* avenue, just
> RFA in batches of twenty or thirty and hand out accounts en bloc...

I'm not sold either, but the debate should perhaps be had. There are
basically three broad options:

1. "The borg" - all admins by default act through the same account. It
is possible, but with difficulty, to determine who performed which
administrative act. - Major problems of accountability of course.
2. "Pseudonyms" - each admin has an account used exclusively for
administrative actions. At his discretion, he may disclose this link.
Problems - maintaining the secrecy, convincing users that
accountability is maintained, users having no idea of the history of
each admin (where they suddenly came from...)
3. As current - problems: targetability, admins having more sway than
is reasonable when acting outside their role (eg, content disputes)
etc.

Comments and opinions pls.

Steve