[WikiEN-l] Creation of user photographs

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue May 23 03:32:04 UTC 2006

Peter Mackay wrote:

>>From: wikien-l-bounces at Wikipedia.org
>>[mailto:wikien-l-bounces at Wikipedia.org] On Behalf Of Ray Saintonge

>>>You seem to be saying it's OK to break the law if you can get away with
>>>

>>>it, but I think you misunderstand my point.
>>>

>>Your misconception of law is phenomenal.  In some situations
>>the breach
>>of the law does not happen until there has been a complaint
>>by someone
>>with standing.
>>

>So it's legal to breach copyright until someone complains? If you steal from
>an outlaw it's not theft?

One needs to make a distinction between civil and criminal law.  The
element of wilfullness is key to the finding of criminal infringement.
"Breaking the law" can result in punitive penalties.  The statutory
damages in civil infringement are really there to avoid the complexities
of determining actual damages; the plaintiff cannot have both actual and
statutory damages in a case.

A person who in good faith publishes material where a reasonable fair
use argument can be made is not breaking the law.  Other defenses which
would exculpate him also exzist.

Ec