[WikiEN-l] Speedy deletions

Mark Gallagher m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Sun May 21 10:12:35 UTC 2006

Steve Bennett wrote:

>>>You know about {{hangon}} ?
>>
>>Why?  Article X is clearly not a speedy delete, and while I'm making it
>>into a good stub (as opposed to a merely decent one) I remove the
>>{{delete}} tag.  No admin should be speedying in the meantime, because
>>*the article is not a speedy candidate*.
>
> Ok, but at this point, you're saying that two separate people think the
> article is speedyable - the person who put the tag, and another admin who
> deleted it even without the tag. And from a pragmatic point of view, you had
> to edit and save the article to rm the {{delete}} tag, and you had to
> edit/save to add the new text - you wouldn't be losing a lot using
> {{hangon}}. But it's your call.

Umm ... I'm talking about admins who don't think about it, but just say
"it's tagged speedy, not my place to not delete it."

> To Hell with that.  I don't AfD articles unless I want them deleted; if
>>they want them on AfD, they can do the leg work themselves.
>
> I can see how "to hell with that" might be taken as a "grave insult", yes.

When you're quite finished tying others' words in knots, let's review ...

a) User A is RC patrolling.  He sees a stub about a school, and tags it
   {{db|Just advertising for an external link}}
b) Mark comes across the article while checking the CSD category.  He
    says "that's not a speedy, and what's more, I think I could improve
    it a little ..."

Now, we have three alternative resolutions:

c0) The article is improved by Mark.  User A appears on Mark's talkpage
     and says "whoops, sorry, that was never a speedy, I'll be more
     careful".  And Alyson Hannigan appears, too, and says "what a good
     decision, oh, you're so sexy."  This is the Preferred Resolution.

c1) Admin C comes along and speedies it.  This is *not* the Preferred
     Resolution, but in at least one case it has led to a discussion on
     IRC, and I believe the admin involved now has obtained a bit of a
     Clue as to when to speedy and when not.  This is probably a Good
     Thing.

c2) User A appears on Mark's talkpage saying "if you don't think an
     article should be speedied, it is NOT APPROPRIATE for you to remove
     the tag.  Only admins can do that, you idiot!  What do you think
     you're playing at?"

At what point did Mark insult anyone?

Now, given that every time I clean up CAT:CSD, I run across roughly half
a dozen improperly-tagged articles (and, no, I don't put them to AfD),
yet I only get a complaint once every two or three attempts (and abusive
complaints are rarer), I guess we can say "c2" is not the norm,
fortunately.  *Un*fortunately, neither is c0.  Wither art thou, Ms
Hannigan? :-(

--
Mark Gallagher
"What?  I can't hear you, I've got a banana on my head!"