[WikiEN-l] Proposal: limited extension of semi-protection policy

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Sat May 20 10:20:20 UTC 2006

> If that is true, then the template at the time is misleading and scary
> and distracting to readers.  I propose that we eliminate the requirement
> that semi-protected articles have to announce themselves as such to the
> general public.  They can be categorized as necessary, of course, so
> that editors who take an interest in making sure things are not
> excessively semi-protected can do so, but there seems to me to be little
> benefit in announcing it to the entire world in such a confusing fashion.

If the semi-prot banner is removed for pages like GWB, I suggest we increase
the friendliness of a user who does try and edit it. We do want new users,
after all. Something like "Hi! Bet you thought Wikipedia was the
encyclopaedia anyone can edit, right? Well, it is...but articles like this
one are so popular that we've had to restrict it. On the other hand, there
are over a million articles that need your help. Click here to find out
which..."

Or something.

Steve