[WikiEN-l] Ok here is why Willaim Connolley and these stupid admins are messing up Wikipedia. (Hganesan)

Mark Gallagher m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Fri May 19 14:12:31 UTC 2006

G'day Peter,

> On 5/19/06, Guy Chapman aka JzG <guy.chapman at spamcop.net> wrote:
>
>>[[WP:NPA]], that's heading for a month now.  It's great being a rouge
>>admin :-D
>
> At risk of involving myself in this matter, I have to ask what the
> difference between rouge and rogue is. Is this simply the difference
> between an Australian and another spelling. Because I think its
> perfectly sensible to have a sentence that says "its great being a
> rogue admin", but I dont see how rouge, which is in my view a colour
> of makeup, relates to this sentence.

Heh!  It's a long-standing Wikipedia in-joke.

Basically:
* A rouge admin is a good admin who is hated by trolls and
   ne'er-do-wells.  Being "rouge" is a Good Thing, although there are
   policy wonks who tell us it's better to treat trolls and
   ne'er-do-wells according to process, no matter what, and that
   rougeness is therefore not to be encouraged.

* A rogue admin is a bad admin who uses their admin powers to
   deliberately harm the project.

We have few rogues, fortunately, (only one that I know of in our entire
history, although there may be a second we haven't identified) but very
many rouges.

--
Mark Gallagher
"What?  I can't hear you, I've got a banana on my head!"