[WikiEN-l] Deletion before discussion

Rob Church robchur at gmail.com
Wed May 17 23:59:56 UTC 2006

On 18/05/06, Rob <gamaliel8 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/17/06, Ben McIlwain <cydeweys at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Steve Bennett wrote:
> > >
> > > Even in userspace? Was that an intentional decision? Does it apply when
> > > people upload photos of themselves?
> >
> > /Especially/ in userspace (in articles you can at least make a case for
> > fair use).  And people had better be uploading those pictures of
> > themselves under free licenses such as GFDL, CC, or PD.
>
> Why?

You don't think mirrors grab user pages? Check again. They're
available in dumps and via all the usual routes of grabbing the stuff.

Wikipedia's licence policies are clear; images must be available under
a free-content licence, release or expired into the public domain, or
else used in articles under the fair use provisions of United States
copyright law, with an appropriate rationale for each use.

Rob Church