[WikiEN-l] Tearing down the Chinese Firewall

Rob Church robchur at gmail.com
Wed May 17 06:14:01 UTC 2006

On 17/05/06, Philip Welch <wikipedia at philwelch.net> wrote:
> On May 16, 2006, at 6:20 PM, Prasad J wrote:
>
> > As a side note, I really do suspect that George Orwell was referring
> > to the U.S when he wrote 1984!
>
> He wasn't.
>
> He was referring to Stalin, his work at the BBC during World War II,
> the British Empire, Nazi Germany, etc.

And the US didn't enter his mind at any point? Can't believe that,
myself, although I'm not going to push the issue. WikiEN-l isn't the
place for that sort of intellectual debate.

I'll echo the sentiments of the respondent, though. This is a mailing
list about Wikipedia; regardless of how much of a tosser you
personally think George Bush is, or how much you disagree with the US,
the UK or any of those countries, *don't post it*; it's off-topic and,
due to the geographical and political alignment of a lot of
subscribers, could be considered mindless trolling.

Rob Church

Rob Church